Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Two goodies from Gatlinburg, Tenn.

I recently wrote about our summer trip to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, Tenn., and the subsequent visit to the house where my grandmother was born and raised. Today it is an antiques store, called Yesterday’s Antiques.

When I visited there in 1999, I bought an inexpensive pitcher that is off-white and has colorful flowers. It’s nothing fancy or pricey, but I love the fact that it came from that shop. On our June 2011 visit, I bought a green Depression glass candlestick, with openings for two candles. I showed both to my parents over the weekend. They stopped in Bristol for a couple days, after having been to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, and before heading home to Norfolk, Va.

My mother liked the colorful pitcher – especially since it was full of cut yellow roses (her favorite flower). My dad was drawn to the green glass candlestick, noting that his parents had similar ones (scalloped pattern, but clear or beige glass) at the farm where he was raised in Sampson County, N.C.

Both these items were reasonably priced and fun trinkets to bring home and keep from our trip. We relive our travels through the wonderful keepsakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment