Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

We just called it Divorce Casserole

This casserole (actually called Chopstick Tuna) is a bit of a legend in my family. The recipe comes from my grandmother, Grace Clabough Fakler, and was a favorite for many years. My mom had it in her own recipe box and made the casserole for my dad when they were newlyweds in the mid-1960s. My dad’s reaction – he left the house because he hated it so passionately.

My brother and I had heard the story of Chopstick Tuna and we started calling it “Divorce Casserole.” Once, in the 1980s, when my dad was traveling for work, my mom made the dish again and we LOVED it. It became the go-to dish to have on the rare occasions my dad was out of town.

No truth to the “divorce casserole” part of the story. I don't believe my mom ever tried this dish on dad again – they have weathered casseroles, children and plenty else and will celebrate their 47th wedding anniversary this summer.

My family loves this dish and its funny story, even at my dad's expense. I think it is a perfect combination of creamy and crunchy.

Chopstick Tuna

14.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
6 ounce can tuna, packed in water, drained
¼ cup milk
½ cup diced onion
½ cup diced celery
½ cup roasted, salted cashews
14 ounce can chow mein noodles
Salt and pepper
2 teaspoons chopped parsley

Mix together the soup, tuna, milk, onion and celery in a greased 2-quart casserole.


Add ¾ of the can of chow mein noodles and the cashews.


Mix all the ingredients, then top with remaining chow mein noodles.


Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes, until bubbly and browned on top. Serves 4-6. I can't predict the effects on your marriage, but I think it is delicious!

2 comments:

  1. I am so going to the store tomorrow for these ingredients! My mouth is watering now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be a man thing~ My dad absolutely hated all casseroles except chicken casserole.

    ReplyDelete