Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

No-Bake Cookies

I found this recipe in a worn folder that used to be either orange or red, but today it is ruddy and slightly torn. Oh, the treasures inside! Classic Pecan Pie. Amish Friendship Bread. Broccoli Salad. And this old favorite: No-Bake Cookies.

This recipe comes from a dear friend, Debbie Isom, who lives in Wise County. She made these cookies years ago for an open house at The Coalfield Progress and I was intrigued. How do you make cookies that aren’t baked? Well, they aren’t cookies in the classic sense. They are a hybrid creation – you cook them on the stovetop and drop them like candy onto waxed paper or aluminum foil.

I hadn’t made this recipe in many years. In fact, my youngest said he had never had them. Looking at the recipe I had to chuckle: My oldest had scribbled all over the recipe using a green glitter pen. There are hearts and checkmarks and more hearts written in the margins, along with her name, written in tentative cursive. Fourth grade, I’m guessing, and she is 16 now.

Don’t wait years to try this recipe. It is easy, nearly foolproof and makes a huge amount. I plan to make a batch for my husband’s family reunion in August. Because of its ease, it is a great recipe to make with children.

No-Bake Cookies

2 cups sugar
½ cup baking cocoa
½ cup milk
½ cup butter, margarine or oleo
Mix these ingredients together in a saucepan, bring to a boil over medium heat, then let cool slightly.
Add the following to the warm mixture:
½ cup peanut butter (creamy)
3 cups quick cooking oatmeal
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Stir ingredients to blend completely. Drop by rounded teaspoons on a cookie sheet or waxed paper. Let cool approximately one hour.
I used nearly 4 cups of oats to get the mix to the thickness I wanted. I also used chunky peanut butter (it's what I had in the pantry). Also, you can add 1 ½ cups of coconut flakes, if you like them.

Let the cookies sit until they are firm. They are chewy and chocolatey and sure to be a hit at with the reunion crowd next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment