Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Start Your Ovens: Broccoli Salad Supreme

This is the first recipe I wanted to try after skimming through “Start Your Ovens: Cooking the Way it Ought’a Be.” The recipe is similar to other broccoli salad recipes I have seen and enjoyed – broccoli, raisins, onions and a dressing made from mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar. But the addition of roasted, salted cashews makes this version stand out. The nuts give the dish additional crunch and a memorable richness.

I hope you try some of the recipes from this wonderful book.

To make Broccoli Salad Supreme, here’s what you will need:

1 large bunch broccoli
I red onion, chopped
1 cup cashews
8-10 slices crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
½ cup raisins
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 to ½ cup sugar
2-3 tablespoons vinegar

Discard the tough ends of the broccoli stems. Slice the remaining stems into bite-sized pieces; separate the florets into bite-sized portions. Combine the broccoli, onion, cashews, bacon and raisins in a bowl and toss gently.


Combine the mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar in a bowl and mix well.


Add to the broccoli mixture and toss to coat. Chill, covered for 6 to 10 hours. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

I did make some modifications to this recipe (big surprise, huh?). I used both broccoli and cauliflower, and I used dried cranberries instead of raisins. Readers of this blog know I am a firm believer in using what you have on hand! I also substituted plain yogurt for half of the mayonnaise – it’s much lower in fat, but still gives a creamy consistency.

The verdict? This recipe is one of the best salad ideas I have tried and a new favorite to share. One other note: The recipe says the cashews are optional. Wrong. Their crunch and richness makes this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment