Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Family home turned antiques shop


This is the house where my maternal grandmother was raised. It was built in 1896 and is located along Wears Valley Road in Pigeon Forge, Tenn. The house and the surrounding property were then known as Twin Bridges Farm.


Today it is an antiques shop: Yesterday's Antiques. It seems odd to visit what once was a family home and now is a store. But considering all the demolition and development in Pigeon Forge/Sevierville/Gatlinburg, Tenn., I am grateful the building still stands and that I have a chance to see it at all.

My grandmother, Grace Clabough Fakler (1903-1996), was one of six children raised here. Yes, six children were raised in a two bedroom house that did not have a bathroom at all. The bedrooms were upstairs and the three boys were in one; the three girls in another. The parents slept downstairs. My great-grandmother, Priscilla Roberts Clabough, lived here until her death in the 1950s and in her memory the two adjoining streets bear her name:



I thoroughly enjoyed my visit earlier this month. It was like stepping back in time to browse antiques and collectibles in a house that has such importance to my family. My mother and aunt spent summers there, visiting their grandmother.

Today, visitors can see beautiful linens and vintage clothes:


There are two rooms that are full of books:


And a room full of kitchen wares, gadgets, cutting boards, an old stove and everyday dishes:


I was particularly drawn to glassware on display, including milk glass and Depression glass in pink, beige and green.


It was a treat to visit this shop and share some of these memories with my husband. My parents, brother, neice and nephew will head to this part of the world later this summer. A stop to this shop is sure to be on their itenerary.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete