Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Four gallons of sweet yumminess

My family spent Memorial Day in Wise, Va., with my husband's parents. They are up to their necks, almost literally, with strawberries. Like my parents, my in-laws are prolific gardeners and are eager to share with others. They sent us home with four gallons of the most delicious, juicy berries!

So far I have washed, capped and frozen two gallons of berries and made a strawberry pie. Time is working against me since strawberries are fairly fragile. I aim to get the rest of the berries frozen tonight, with maybe a few of the hardiest ones left in the fridge for snacking.

I used my grandmother's recipe for strawberry pie and got rave reviews from my youngest son. (On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being the best you ever had, what would you rate this pie? A 10, definitely, he said.)

Recipe and photos to come soon; got get the rest of the berries tackled first. Happy summer, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment