Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Rosemary and mint herbal bath

Today I came across a treasure trove of recipes I used 10 or more years ago. No Bake Cookies. Classic Pecan Pie. Amish Friendship Bread (which quickly can become a curse since the starter multiplies so rapidly!) And an old favorite I used to make as gifts for friends: Rosemary and mint herbal bath.

Perhaps 15 years ago, I received a similar tonic as a gift. I loved the herbal bath and quickly used it up. It smells terrific and helps soothe achy muscles. But I was was dumbfounded when I wanted to buy more and saw the actual cost. Using rosemary from my dad’s garden and purchased mint extract, I came up with this inexpensive substitute.

Rosemary and mint herbal bath

4-5 sprigs fresh rosemary or about 3 tablespoons dry rosemary, crushed
3 cups water
¾ cup mineral oil (baby oil)
½ teaspoon mint extract
3-4 drops red food coloring (liquid)

Fill a quart canning jar with the rosemary, then pour over 3 cups of boiling water. Let cool until you can safely handle. Cover lid with plastic wrap and a rubber band. Let mixture stand for two days. Pour mixture through a sieve to remove the rosemary. To the infused water, add ¾ cup mineral oil, ½ teaspoon mint extract and 3-4 drops of red food coloring. Pour into small jars for gift giving. Yield: One quart. Add ¼ cup to ½ cup to bath water.

The small jars that diced pimentos are packaged in are the perfect size to use for this herbal bath. Recycle them into a great gift, or save it for yourself. I have a hardy rosemary plant in my herb garden -- later this year I will use several sprigs to make a batch for myself.

2 comments:

  1. I love these kinds of recipes. I have a book that I love called The Herb Bible.You might enjoy it as well. It not only helps your gardening of herbs, but shares tips, and receipes as well.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm growing rosemary now and was wondering what I could do with it besides cooking. How wonderful this is!

    ReplyDelete