Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Fresh asparagus makes me happy

As we approach Easter on Sunday, my thoughts have turned to favorite spring produce. Asparagus and green peas are two of my favorites. These tender vegetables do not hold up well to high heat needed for canning. Choose them fresh in season, or frozen year-round.

Asparagus is a terrific food – it provides a variety of nutrients and is a leading supplier of folic acid (which helps prevent neural tube birth defects, like spina bifida, and facial deformities like cleft palate). Many breads, cereals and other grain products are fortified with folic acid to reduce these birth defects – get the folic acid naturally by eating your asparagus!

The Michigan Asparagus Advisory Board, which works to promotes asparagus, notes that the vegetable is low in calories (4 calories per spear), contains no fat or cholesterol, is low in sodium and is a good source of B vitamins. And, in my humble opinion, it is a delicious vegetable that is ideal for grilling, sautéing or blanching.

But my favorite way to eat asparagus is simple: Wash asparagus and pat dry. Break off any woody stems. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and blanch the asparagus for about 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drop the asparagus into a large pan of ice water (to stop the cooking). Drain and dry the asparagus, then put it in a large resealable bag (I use a gallon). Pour about a ½ cup of Italian dressing over the asparagus. Seal the bag and refrigerate several hours or overnight.

I love asparagus in soups, casseroles, grilled and steamed, but marinating it and eating it cold is my hands-down favorite. I hope you try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment