Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Cranberry pork roast

I came up with this recipe earlier this week in an effort to use some cranberry sauce I had on hand. I had seen recipes that used cranberry sauce as a glaze for pork, so I decided to make my own. I blended some vinegar with the cranberry sauce, but thought it was too sour. A bit of honey did the trick – to sweeten slightly without overpowering the dish. This was so easy and delicious! I work from home and the smell of this dish was so distracting that I ran some work errands to get out of the house (and keep from nibbling on it!)

Cranberry pork roast

3 pound pork sirloin roast, boneless
15 ounce can jellied cranberry sauce
¼ cup white vinegar
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons honey
Salt and pepper, to taste
Oil

Season the roast with salt and pepper and in a large skillet, brown the roast on all sides. Place it in a 5-6 quart slow cooker that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

Mix the cranberry sauce, vinegar and garlic; pour over roast. I added the honey to the sauce during the last hour of cooking.

Cook on low for 5-6 hours, then add the honey. Cook on low for another hour. Remove the roast to a plate. It has a beautiful rosy color from the cranberry sauce.

Slice or shred the roast and serve.

This recipe was both sweet and sour and a big hit with my husband and youngest son. I paired it with rice and green beans. Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment