Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Cinnamon, apples and oats

My mother has made apple crisp countless times; it was a recipe she did by sight and feel, over any real measurements. The ease of this recipe, and the fact it is made from common ingredients most cooks have on hand, makes it a good go-to dessert. I changed it up a bit by adding pears. My youngest son doesn’t like apples (I have no idea) so I mixed in some chopped pears hoping he would eat the whole thing. The joke was on me: He ate the pears and left the apples behind. (No, I am not sure how he could tell in the finished dish, but he did.)

Apple and pear crisp

1 large baking apple, like Granny Smith
1 large Bosc pear
½ cup quick oats
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter

Chop the apples and pears and place in a medium casserole dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. I used a beautiful glazed dish from Williams-Sonoma; it makes everything taste better! I do not peel the fruit.

In a small bowl, combine the oats, sugar and cinnamon. Blend in butter with a fork until it is combined.

Put the oatmeal mixture over the fruit…

Then bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. Whip this up and put it in the oven as you sit down to eat. Dessert will be ready once dinner is over.

My husband loves his with vanilla ice cream, a classic:

1 comment:

  1. You can use prepackaged, flavored oatmeal for this recipe (cinnamon and apple, brown sugar, maple). These packages have cinnamon and sugar in them; no need to add more.

    ReplyDelete