Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Banana pudding

Banana pudding is a favorite with my children, and something I remember fondly from my own childhood. My aunt, Terry White, always made a huge bowl of the stuff for my brother and me when we came to visit the farm where my dad was raised in Sampson County, N.C. It was always special because it was a treat we never got at home. I thought it must have been quite exotic or difficult – until my aunt let me help her whip up a batch. I assume now that my parents weren’t fans, since it is one of the easiest desserts to make and an ideal recipe for making with children.

My children love the stuff, so I have been making banana pudding more recently. I have made it with cooked pudding, but prefer the easier preparation of instant pudding. I also love that you can make this with skim milk. My children get something sweet, without a ton of sugar or fat.

Banana pudding

4 ounce instant vanilla pudding mix
2 cups milk (I use skim or 1 percent)
20-25 vanilla wafers
2-3 bananas

In a medium bowl, mix the pudding mix and milk until fully blended. I use a whisk to eliminate lumps. After about 3 minutes of stirring, the pudding will thicken. In a medium bowl, place a layer of 8-10 vanilla wafers, then a layer of sliced bananas. Add half the pudding. Add another layer of 8-10 vanilla wafers and another layer of sliced bananas. Add the remaining pudding, then top with 4 or 5 wafers. Chill completely. This version makes about 4 servings. You can easily double it for a crowd. Don't top it with sliced bananas, unless you are going to eat it promptly -- they will brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment