Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

A new twist on an old tradition

For countless years I've eaten black-eyed peas, cornbread and ham on New Year's Day. Sometimes we add collards, sometimes we eat rice, sometimes we add biscuits. But the peas, ham and cornbread are holiday staples.

Until this year.

My youngest son balks at eating black-eyed peas and my teenagers weren't here to eat. It had become pretty clear that I was the one who aimed to eat a pot of peas by myself. What kind of luck will that bring?

So I decided to change gears. I saw this black-eye pea dip recipe posted a few days ago by Ree Drummond, who writes the wildly popular The Pioneer Woman blog. It was spicy and creamy downright delicious and is destined to become a new tradition for my family. Even my youngest loved it!

I used fat-free sour cream and fat-free cheese. I normally detest the fat-free cheese, but when it is cooked, it does a pretty fine job. Try this dip with tortilla chips or wheat crackers. And if you use fat-free ingredients, the dish is guilt free. Happy New Year, friends!

3 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried Hillbilly (Redneck) Salsa? It uses blackeyed peas in it. I don't care to eat them any other way but in this salsa...it's really good! Let me know if you need the recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Beth. I would love the recipe. My grandmother (Pahl) lived on a farm in Sampson County, N.C. and she made this topping for black-eyed peas (any kind of peas, really) that she called "Smack 'em." It is chopped tomatoes, onion and green pepper, with white vinegar, salt and pepper. It is so simple, but fantastically good on vegetables. That is normally what I make for NYD, but the kids turn their noses up. I thought this dip would be a good thing to try and I was pleasantly surprised when Miles loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I just saw your reply! Here's the recipe:

    HILLBILLY SALSA
    (a.k.a. Redneck Salsa)

    2 cans blackeyed peas (rinsed & drained)
    1 can Rotel with green chilies
    1 small 5 oz. can shoe peg corn
    1 bunch scallions (use some of the green)
    2 med. bell peppers (red & green minced)
    1 small bottle (1 cup) Zesty Italian dressing (I use light dressing)

    Mix all ingredients together. Place in a container and refrigerate for at least two hours (overnight is even better), allowing the flavors to blend.
    Serve with tortilla chip scoops. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete