Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Spectacular shrimp


Last week, in celebration of my youngest son’s outstanding report card, I fixed this version of Sautéd Shrimp – courtesy of Tidewater on the Halfshell, Fine Virginia Recipes. This cookbook is a compilation of recipes from the Junior League of Virginia Beach and Norfolk, Va., my hometown. It is a simple, delicious preparation for shrimp, one of my favorite seafoods. The recipe makes a lot – we enjoyed leftovers for lunch the following day.

Most "fresh" shrimp are actually thawed from frozen (as the ones I bought were). I purchased them deveined, but I did the peeling myself. Serve this dish with small or medium egg noodles for a special treat.

Sautéd Shrimp
2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 small onion, diced
¼ cup diced parsley
½ cup dry white wine
½ teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper

Heat oil in a large wok or skillet. Add mushrooms and onions and sauté until tender. Add parsley and wine, stir. Gradually add shrimp, season with salt, garlic and pepper. Stir and cook for several minutes, just until shrimp are pink. Serve immediately over rice or noodles. Serves 6-8.

I used a large milkglass bowl to serve the shrimp. Outstanding report cards necessitate special serving pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment