Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Seriously hot wings in Blacksburg


I had the greatest time last month visiting Blacksburg, Va., and the campus of Virginia Tech, my alma mater. Blacksburg is such a fun, vibrant town and it was a joy to give my husband and youngest son a quick tour of academic buildings, the Drillfield, my old dorm (shout to Slusher Wing), the Duck Pond, Lane Stadium and more.

It had been about six months since I was last there, but the town keeps changing and growing. The Lyric Theatre looks like new. There’s a Moe's (Welcome to Moe's!) downtown. And new dorms and academic buildings keep springing up everywhere.

Some places you can count on when you visit town – Top of the Stairs, Mike’s Grill, Souvlaki, and The Cellar, which is where we ate lunch on our trip.

The Cellar is located along Main Street in Blacksburg, Va., just a couple blocks off the Virginia Tech campus. Locals know it without explanation, but anyone can find it with ease. From the student center, walk about three blocks toward downtown – you will smell baking cheese and often see a line out the door. This was a favorite late night spot when I was an undergraduate at Tech. It is a tradition in downtown Blacksburg, one that has been updated with a new interior and street level entrance for the main dining area. I missed the cellar entrance, but I was transported in time once I got inside. The Cellar is known for its extensive beer offerings, and for being a casual fun place to eat. I spent many nights there, socializing with friends over Killian’s Red and munching on pizza.

During our December trip, we enjoyed several menu items, but we sre still talking about how hot the wings were (and laughing at me over how many I ate!) The wings are the first thing on the menu, but be forewarned – I LOVE hot foods, but these will burn you up. They were so hot, they hurt, but I can’t stop thinking about them.

If you are familiar with Blacksburg, there is no need for me to explain my fondness for this charming town. If you have never been, consider visiting this friendly, energetic place. It’s full of activity from the university, and anchored by a committed group of locals.

There's a huge number of terrific restaurants and watering holes in Blacksburg -- too many to mention here. Go visit and find your own favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment