Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Unbelievable asparagus bargain

Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables, but its high cost often makes me leave it on the grocery shelf. Canned asparagus, while cheaper, is a crime against all vegetables. Typically, a good price for fresh asparagus might be $2.99 per pound. But last week, I found a major markdown -- fresh asparagus marked less than a buck.


O.K. It's hard to read, but that pacakge came home with me for 76 cents. Of course it was marked down because it was nearing its expiration. Nevermind that -- I took it home and cooked it that day. To cook fresh asparagus, wash and dry the stalks completely. Snap off the toughest part of the stem. I put mine on a baking sheet, sprinkled it with about 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Roast the asparagus at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, stirring after about 5 minutes.


I love this quick and easy method, and I especially love finding a deal this great for something I enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment