Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Beef stroganoff my way

I couldn’t stand beef stroganoff when I was a child. One of my worst food memories was being made to sit and finish it, as it got colder and colder. Ugh. But recently, I’ve had a hankering to go back and try it again, making it the way that appeals to me today.

The dish is creamy, thanks (normally) to sour cream. I used plain yogurt in my recipe since it is so much lower in fat and calories. I also added red wine and Worcestershire sauce – they make everything better. This recipe was a hit with my youngest son, who can be pretty picky.

You’ll need:

1.5 pounds stew beef or flank steak, cut in bite-sized pieces
¼ cup onion, diced
14.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
4 ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained
½ cup red wine
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
¾ cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Salt and pepper

Sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper. Warm a skillet over medium heat, add a teaspoon of oil and brown the beef pieces for 3-5 minutes. Add to slow cooker. Add red wine and Worcestershire sauce to skillet to deglaze pan, then pour liquid over meat in slow cooker. Add cream of mushroom soup, onion, and sliced mushrooms; stir to combine. Cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours.


Combine yogurt and flour in a small bowl. Add the yogurt mixture and stir to combine. Cook for another 30 minutes. Cook about 2 cups of thin egg noodles in boiling water, drain and keep warm. Serve the stroganoff over the noodles. This is best when topped with fresh chopped parsley (super easy to grow in the yard!)


Try this recipe! It’s a lower fat option that is full of flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment