Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

Frank's + Rotel, a happy pairing

I came up with this recipe in my never ending quest to devise new recipes for dinner. I’ve seen similar recipes that use tortilla chips, but I decided to use flour tortillas and layer then in lieu of noodles for “Mexican” lasagna. This recipe wasn’t that much of a stretch from family favorites like enchiladas, but the best addition was Ro*tel tomato sauce, a newer offering I notice in local grocery stores. I have long used Ro*tel products, like the seasoned tomatoes, but the sauce is a newer addition on local shelves. The sauce comes in two varieties, original and mild. Both are delicious and worth trying, if you love Mexican dishes.

I have a tried-and-true enchilada recipe I make, that incorporates cream of mushroom soup. I used that basic idea when making this recipe, as well.

You’ll need:

1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
6-8 flour tortillas
1 can Ro*tel tomato sauce (original or mild)
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, or a blend of Cheddar and Monterrey Jack

In a 9x13-inch baking dish, spread a couple of tablespoons of the tomato sauce. Add 2-3 tortillas, tearing to fit the pan. Top with 2-3 spoonfuls of cream of mushroom soup, one-third of the ground beef and one-third of the cheese. Top with half the can of tomato sauce, then repeat layers two more times. I had a few extra tortillas, so I topped the whole casserole with the tortillas and cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and browned.


I served this dish with rice, diced jalapenos and Frank’s RedHot. It comes in multiple varieties, but the original is still my favorite.

2 comments:

  1. I have just perused your site a bite (now I am REALLY HUNGRY!).

    Great stuff! You should have your own show!

    The chicken, and pork chop recipes caught my fancy, since I never really quite know what to do with them.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the praise -- I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete