Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

New-fangled beef vegetable soup



I have made countless pots of beef vegetable soup, but always used ground beef. Last week, I came up with a revised take on the recipe, using stew beef and a pouch of black pepper seasoning from the spice aisle. This seasoning packs a punch, so I recommend using no more than half the package. Use the remainder to season another dish. The tomatoes with chipotle peppers gives this dish a wonderful smoky heat.

For beef vegetable soup, you'll need:

1 pound stew beef
3 potatoes, diced
14.5 can corn, drained
14.5 can green beans, drained
15 ounce can diced tomatoes with chipotle peppers
4 cups water
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/2 package cracked black pepper seasoning (or 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper)

Season the stew beef with the black pepper seasoning, then brown the beef in a medium skillet. Add the beef and the remaining ingredients to a 6-quart slow cooker. Stir well to combine. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Yield: 10-12 cups.

2 comments:

  1. I always make my vegetable beef soup with stew beef. Depending on how much broth & veggies I use I either call it beef stew or vegetable soup, LOL. But I make it pretty much the same way. I need to check out this pepper seasoning you speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather! The seasoning I used was in a one-ounce packet and with the other seasoning and marinade mixes (gravy, spaghetti sauce, Italian, etc.)

    ReplyDelete