Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Brown sugar chicken

This recipe is from 365 Easy Slow Cooker Recipes and just downright delicious. I'm giving full credit to Nicole Phillips and her terrific book -- I didn't change a thing in the recipe, although I think I used slightly less than two pounds of chicken. And I really did use the Domino "Brownulated" sugar in this dish. It pours like granulated white sugar -- no clumping!

My husband grumbled when I told him I was trying a new recipe, but raved (I mean RAVED!) when he tasted this dish. It is sweet and salty and sour and fantastic. Plus, you might already have all the ingredients on hand.

I know this is a slow cooker dish, but I made it in the oven. I covered and cooked the chicken for about an hour at 350 degrees. The following instructions are for a slow cooker.

You'll need:
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, cut in 1-inch pieces (I used boneless thighs)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup vinegar
1/4 cup lemon-lime soda (I used diet Sprite)
1 teaspoon black pepper
Cooked rice, to serve

Place chicken pieces in a slow cooker. Combine remaining ingredients, except rice, and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with rice. Serves 4.

When I made this dish, I used about 1.5 pounds of boneless chicken thighs. I think (at least based on my family) it yielded about 5 servings. And it is one of my husband's new favorites.

To make it in a conventional oven, cut the chicken in pieces and place them in a 3 quart casserole dish.


Blend all the sauce ingredients and pour over the chicken.


Yes, it's got plenty of garlic, but that is what makes it good!

I baked mine in a 350 degree oven for about an hour. Cover the dish with foil -- you don't want this sticky, sweet sauce splattering around in the oven.

Serve over cooked rice...


...and forgive the horrible kitchen lighting in this photo!

1 comment:

  1. Some questions from Facebook that I wanted to include here, too:

    Heather Provencher: I used white vinegar and I think that was plenty strong since the recipe calls for a decent amount.

    Re your questions and those from Pam Smith-Rodden -- chicken is an equal opportunity lover of seasoned liquids. I think adding orange juice would be awesome (similar to the best-ever chicken I have on my blog). Cheerwine, cola, Sprite, apple juice all would probably work great. They are sweet and syrupy and delicious. But try it once as posted. I am telling you, it is terrific.

    ReplyDelete