Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Terrific tastes of Thailand

I am a huge fan of Thai food, despite the fact that the closest restaurant to my home in Bristol is in neighboring Kingsport, Tenn., about 25 miles away. I was spoiled years ago when my husband and I lived a mere six blocks from a delicious Thai restaurant, Rom Thai, on Granby Street in Norfolk, Va. We love the sour, sweet and salty combination that is a hallmark of Thai food – lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, vinegar, sugar and salty sauces made from soy and seafood.

For years, I have loved Tong’s Thai Restaurant on Salem Avenue in Roanoke, Va., near the Hotel Roanoke. Their mango and sticky rice is the perfect combination of warm, creamy rice with cool, sweet mango. Simple perfection. More recently I have frequented Chaba’s on Franklin Road when work commitments bring me to Roanoke.

I aim to slip by Chaba’s during my latest visit; they have terrific service, interesting vegetable and seafood dishes and they are expert in that fantastic sour, salty, sweet combination I crave. If you have never tried Thai food, I encourage you to dive in. The flavors are fantastic and many restaurants are family-run, offering you a chance to talk to the owners and chefs and learn more about this terrific cuisine.

3 comments:

  1. I have just received a Stylish Blogger award and am passing it on to you!
    So here are the rules for acceptance of the award:

    1. Thank and link back to the person who awarded you this award.
    2. Share 7 things about yourself.
    3. Award 5 recently discovered great bloggers.
    4. Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award.

    There is a button that goes with the award. Please get it from my Blog:
    http://adventuresofaveggiegirl.blogspot.com/


    Thank you and Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently tried Thai food and want to explore it more as a result. The only thing that stinks is that the closest place for me is either Lexington or the Tri Cities area and both are a few hours away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I miss Rom Thai! I go as often as I'm able when I am back in Norfolk! I used to work just around the corner from there, on Talbot Hall Road.

    I grew up on Thai food - my folks lived there for 6 months - so it's a favorite. Everyone should give it a try! There are so many different flavors to explore! Mango and sticky rice is a great way to end a meal. For a splurge, I like to start with Thai iced tea. Even though I have a fully tummy from dinner, I'm now hungry for Thai!! Thanks, Suzanne! ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete