Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

They had the skills to pay the bills


Simply put, the Beastie Boys are one of my all-time favorite groups, and I have been torn up over the death last week  of Adam Yauch (MCA, at right above). I remember the rush of excitement my friends and I felt over the "Ill Communication" album (1986) and dancing to Brass Monkey at one of the first big, high school parties my parents let me attend. I can’t begin to name a favorite song – I love them all and can probably sing or rap the lines to any of them. Sabotage; Hey Ladies; Paul Revere, Hold it now, hit it; Shake your rump; No Sleep Til Brooklyn; Girls; Sure Shot, Body Movin’…. The list goes on and on. The Beasties were funny and smart, a fact that always set them apart to me. (Remember Boomin' Granny?)

If you are a fan, you will love this: http://shop.beastieboys.com/accessories/



Yes, along with T-shirts, albums, mugs and stickers, you can buy a set of poseable dolls of the group. Sure, the price is steep ($750) but the money goes to charity. Looking at photos and listening to various songs has made me smile – this post about the dolls literally made me laugh out loud. This group’s music has always made me feel happy -- when I was 16 and today, as a mother of two teens!

Here is a great take on Yauch's life from Rolling Stone: It explains how the band evolved, their lifetime friendship, efforts to raise awareness about social problems, and all the fun they had along the way.

1 comment: