Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Donna's Potatoes

This recipe is a go-to favorite from my personal recipe book and one I love to make around the holidays. It comes from Donna Sandstrom of St. Paul, Va., and was shared with me by my former sister-in-law, who first had the pleasure of eating this simple, delicious potato dish.
I pulled it out again when I made Christmas dinner, but I modified it slightly to make it in the slow cooker. Many home cooks struggle with oven space at the holidays and I thought this recipe would be ideal for moving to the slow cooker. The results were terrific and the potatoes were soon a delicious memory.

Here are both versions, the original recipe and how I modified it for the slow cooker.

Donna's Potatoes

One bag frozen hashbrowns, Southern style (diced); recipe calls for Ore-Ida brand
16 ounce container sour cream
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
10 ounces grated cheddar cheese

Combine all in a baking dish sprayed with Pam. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour to one hour, 15 minutes.

Donna's Potatoes for the slow cooker

One bag frozen hashbrowns, Southern style (diced); I used store brand
16 ounce container sour cream; I used low-fat
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup grated cheese (I used a combination of cheddar and monterrey jack)
1/2 cup milk
Parsley flakes

Mix all ingredients except cheese and parsley and pour into a 6 quart slow cooker that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. I added the extra milk to help combine the ingredients and get the cooking process started. Top with cheese and sprinkle with parsley flakes.

Cook on high for 4-5 hours. This recipe developed a slight crust on the top and sides, like it would in the oven.

This is delicious comfort food that is easy to make and frees up space in your oven. It is a perfect accompaniment to ham -- try this one and let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I topped this with cheese so I wouldn't get lost in the casserole. It was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to defrost the potatoes; use them from frozen in either variation (slow cooker or conventional oven).

    ReplyDelete