Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Brown rice adventures

The real difference between brown rice and white rice is the hulling process. Whole grain rice has multiple layers; when only the outermost hull is removed, the result is brown rice. When rice is milled more, removing the layers of germ and bran, the result is a whiter rice. After those grains are further polished, that is the white rice we are used to seeing in grocery stores. The commercial benefit? Milling away the hulls (and their associated essential fats) makes a product less susceptible to spoilage. Of course, all that milling removes much of the rice’s nutritional content and leaves the rice as a refined starch.

This week I read an article that said the milling process to make white rice removes 67 percent of Vitamin B3, 80 percent of Vitamin B1, 90 percent of Vitamin B6 and 60 percent of iron. It also removes all of the natural dietary fiber and the natural essential fatty acids.

With those facts in mind, I aim to eat more brown rice in 2011 and beyond. It is rich in fiber, helps control cholesterol and helps control blood sugar. And I am trying to get away from more processed foods and feed myself, and my family, “real food.”

My husband can be resistant to dietary changes. He allegedly hated a variety of foods and dishes until I modified their recipes, or just had him try the product again. Same story with the brown rice. Didn’t want it. Wouldn’t eat it. I ignored him and bought a large bag last week.
I made a pilaf-style recipe with it and (of course) he loved it. My 9-year-old son was skeptical of the carrots in this dish. There are a plethora of brown rice recipes; I'll keep trying new ones until I hit on one he enjoys.

This recipe is easy and versatile; I used chicken stock as the primary liquid to give more flavor. Substitute beef stock, vegetable stock or water.

Brown rice pilaf
½ cup brown rice
1 cup chicken stock
½ cup water
2 carrots, diced
½ onion, diced
1 tablespoon oil
Salt and pepper
Parsley to garnish

Place the oil in a medium saucepan with a lid; warm over medium heat. Add the carrots and onions and cook 3 minutes until golden. Add the raw brown rice and stir to coat with the oil and vegetables; cook another 3 minutes until rice smells nutty and is golden. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken stock, stir well, cover and lower the heat to low. Total cooking time will be about 45 minutes. Check the rice every 15 minutes; stir and check for dryness. If additional liquid is needed, add up to ½ cup water. Once all liquid is absorbed, check seasoning and add parsley. Brown rice never gets as tender as white rice, but I love the chewier texture. Serves 4.

3 comments:

  1. Green peas would be terrific in this recipe; add a cup near the end of cooking time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is my computer really in California? It is 8:33 p.m. where I am! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really prefer brown rice. Took me a while to get to like whole wheat bread but now the white stuff doesn't take good....

    ReplyDelete