Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Braised cabbage to feed a crowd

My children and I were able to take several family trips this summer, including one to Sampson County, N.C., where my father was raised. He grew up on a large family farm outside Autryville, N.C. We gathered with kin from Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Kentucky. It was a wonderful experience for me to share with my children.

My Aunt Peggy (remember her awesome hot crab dip recipe?) kept a steady stream of food flowing out of the kitchen. She is a fantastic cook and she made countless batches of cornbread, green beans, pork roast, biscuits – you name it and we had it. I really loved her braised cabbage. Most days she was feeding a dozen or more people, so recipes like this really stretch a dollar and feed a crowd!

Here is my own take:

One head of cabbage, cored and shredded
3-4 slices of bacon
Medium onion, diced
Salt and pepper
½ cup water
1 chicken bouillon cube

Cut the cabbage in half, remove the core and shred the cabbage.

 

I used a soup pot to make this dish – to the pot add your bacon and cook until crispy. Add the onion to the bacon fat and cook until translucent (about 5 minutes).


Add the cabbage to the pan and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until wilted. I added about a half cup of water and a chicken bouillon cube for extra flavor.

Here’s the finished dish:
 

This makes about 8-10 servings, but my husband and my youngest won’t eat it. I gobbled it up over two days!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment