Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Easy peasy: Favorite pea salad

I made pea salad for my husband’s family reunion earlier this month. I’ll not tell you that the children line up for it, but the adults sure do. This recipe is modified from one that my former mother-in-law has made for years at Christmas. She uses the tiny Le Seur brand peas (which are much better than any other canned pea). I started using frozen peas, thawed, more recently and I love the fresh taste it gives this recipe.

I used turkey bacon in this recipe because it’s what I had on hand. Whenever I make this dish, I always think it should be called “breakfast salad” since it has both bacon and eggs. The creaminess of the mayonnaise and tang from the vinegar make it delicious.

Here’s what you need:

1 pound green peas, thawed
¼ cup diced onion
4 ounce jar diced pimento
6-8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (I used turkey bacon)
3 hardboiled eggs, chopped
½ cup mayonnaise or plain yogurt
2 tablespoons sugar
2-3 tablespoons white vinegar
Salt and black pepper

Thaw the peas in a large bowl, then drain off any excess liquid. Add the onion, pimento, cooked bacon, chopped eggs, then the dressing ingredients: mayonnaise or yogurt, sugar, vinegar and salt and pepper. Blend all to combine, but be gentle so you don’t smash the peas. Refrigerate until serving. This recipe will make about 10-12 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment