Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Garlic and rosemary pork roast

Pork is a natural in the slow cooker, where long, slow cooking tenderizes meat and imparts greater flavor. Chops should be browned first, then cooked with some type of liquid for optimum tenderness. Pork roasts are another favorite option of mine. I can often find pork picnics on sale, freeze them and have something with limitless potential on hand for meals.

I often opt for a half picnic, weighing around 3 pounds. The size makes it ideal for a 6-quart slow cooker (you gotta be able to get the lid on!) and often leaves me with leftovers for a second meal. Is there anything more delicious on pork than garlic and rosemary? Try this easy recipe that will make your house smell fantastic!

Garlic and rosemary pork roast

3 pound pork roast (half picnic)
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 tablespoon minced parsley
1-2 springs of fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ cup red wine
Salt and pepper

Spray a 6-quart slow cooker with non-stick spray and place the roast in the cooker. In a medium bowl, mix the chopped garlic, parsley, vegetable oil and salt and pepper to taste.

Spread the mixture over the roast, covering the top and sides. Place the rosemary sprigs on top or around the roast.

Pour the red wine around the roast; cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.

Even in the slow cooker, the roast will brown beautifully and be falling-off-the-bone tender.

This recipe will serve 6-8 people (or 3-4 with leftovers). And the amazing aroma of garlic, rosemary and red wine will make you happy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, I have got to make this! I've resolved to make use of my slow cooker more often, so I'm gonna try this next week - after I pick up my ingredients. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete